We celebrated at home on the big day with a few gifts and pizza. My kids get friend parties on even numbered birthdays, so we planned one for that Saturday.
Douglas got some SPY gear from Grandma LaMont and Aunt Sue. Daddy got him a webkinz chimpanzee that he named "Champ".
Douglas' birthday party was so much fun. We did it at my school. It was nice weather, so we were able to do everything outside. The party was traditional and included pin-the-tail on the donkey, musical chairs, a balloon popping game, and a pinata. About 10 kiddos showed up.
Douglas picked cake and ice cream for dessert.
Douglas sticking the tail on the donkey.
Douglas wearing pinata remains. I got a Mexican style pinata because it was the biggest and most unique shape. The other pinatas available were lame character ones that were small and a simple box shape. So we went for the fiesta. Party time was over and done in a few hours. It was a blast, and Douglas loved it.
Other May pictures:
How cute is Kira in her dress from Grandma Olson? So stinking cute. I hate how grown-up she looks, though. :(
I took a day off in May to be a mommy and go on a field trip with TJ. His last one in Elementary School! We went canoeing at Benson Marina. It was windy, so it was hard work. TJ and I got to share a canoe. Pretty fun. We were able to spot some cool birds including a goose nest! I taught a little mini-lesson about macroinvertabrates (aka little water bugs visible with the naked eye). We actually scooped some out of the marina and identified them. In one bucket, we probably found 50 critters. It kind of made me gross-out thinking about swimming in lakes again.
Other May pictures:
I also reaffirmed my desire to never teach upper-grades. Some of those kids were absolutely disrespectful little brats. One boy climbed a tree, took a nest down with eggs in it and carried it around. He also caught some snakes and after spinning them around a few times, threw them into the marina. Most of the kids were great, including my angel, and we did have some good times (despite the fact that it was butt cold). TJ got fever and diarrhea that night and I couldn't help but think of those macroinvertabrates causing the illness. Of course it was just a little virus, and he was okay 24 hours later. TJ is pictured above with his buddy Ty.
Other May events:
Mother's Day was awesome. I got some flowers for my flower garden! I love having a yard, and it is looking better (slowly but surely).
End-of-School events. A very busy time for me. I'm still working on cleaning up my classroom, but the program went well. The boys had a great time celebrating the end of the school year. I had a hard time saying goodbye to my little Kindergartners this year. They were awesome classes. I cried like 4 times on the last day, but am doing okay now. Thinking of spending more time with Kira and the boys at home this summer made it easier to leave.
Looking forward to Summer Vacation...
It started out rough. My nephew (Cody Waddoups) passed away on Thursday, May 28th in Pocatello, Idaho unexpectedly. Medication overdose. We've been working on funeral plans and such. Not fun at all.
I am looking forward to some fun with the kiddos. I've even made a daily chore chart. How's that for fun? Hoping for some nice weather. Douglas will be doing baseball. TJ will be doing some football. A few family vacas planned. Welcome summer- here we come!
5 comments:
Sounds busy and fun. Sorry to hear about your nephew.
So sorry about your nephew. Hugs and prayers coming your way.
Looks like May was insanely busy (as always)!
Hopefully the rest of your summer will be fabulous!
Your kids are getting way old! Very cute!
So sorry about your nephew -- thinking of you guys!
Cute blog, and super cute kids!
Love the new blog look! I'm sorry about your nephew; unexpected deaths are so *very* hard! So are regular deaths, but you know what I mean... I know what you mean about Kira looking grown up. Nathan is starting to lose that baby look and beginning to look like a little boy. He's so fun and I love this age, but it's bittersweet to see the cute baby growing up! I hope your Summer is Awesome-possum!
P.S. Loved your little rhyme at the top of your post... Such a Melinda thing to say! :)
Post a Comment