Monday, May 3, 2010

3 Ways to Lose a Tooth


I don't do a "Lost Tooth" club in my Kindergarten class. It's just not fair. I was one of those kids who never lost a tooth until 2nd grade, and the teachers in 2nd grade just didn't care about that fluffy stuff by then. My boys take after me in the losing teeth department. Douglas just started earlier this year and he is almost 8.

Douglas has some funky teeth. He chipped his two front teeth when he was a baby BEFORE they even grew in, so they came in kind of crazy and pointy. Soon after he had a HUGE bottom tooth come in which I found was called a "Fused tooth" (2 teeth that were fused together). Eventually his other teeth came in, and Douglas didn't have such a crazy mouth full of teeth, but those days have returned!

His fused tooth was the first to go, and some long permanent tooth has replaced it, and shifted over. Then he got hit in the mouth by a ball during gym, and his top 2 teeth were bumped loose. After a few days, I asked him how his teeth were doing. I barely touched the top right one and it totally fell out. Because of the 2 drops of blood that accompanied it, he wouldn't let me touch his other one. I told him he would swallow it in his sleep, but he didn't believe me. He was right. He didn't swallow it in his sleep, he swallowed it with his dinner. He could only cash in the one he didn't swallow.

Douglas lost another tooth yesterday on the bottom near the tall, new tooth. He pulled it out on his own. He put it under his pillow, but the tooth fairy forgot to come. She must have been busy. This afternoon, I heard screaming and ran to his room to see which bone was broken. No broken bones, but he was playing with his tooth in a bag, and it got lost somewhere in his room. Bummer. Guess the tooth fairy gets another night off.

2 comments:

Pike's Place said...

Sounds like he's headed for braces down the road. I can't believe my Jayce has already lost two at 5 years-old. He's definitely on the early side. Isn't this tooth-fairy thing so fun? :)

Jessica said...

Wow, what an adventure for ya'll and the Tooth Fairy!! I can't believe he ate it... That's too crazy. Something tells me he is going to be extra careful with the next few that come out.