Sunday, October 31, 2010

BoOoOoOo

Happy Halloween Y'all!

The LaMont Halloween started a little rough, but ended pretty sweet.

Problem 1: Mom procrastinated (boo). I totally didn't have time to worry about Kira's costume until Saturday the 30th (aka Mormon Halloween). So I took off Saturday morning in search of a puppy or sheep costume. Found a few, but all in baby sizes- not toddler (boo). I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased some darling fluffy white material and figured I could whip up a little lamby costume for Kira. As soon as the lady started cutting it for me, I knew I was in trouble. Little white fluffies were flying everywhere (boo). I did not let that stop me. I figured I could always clean it up later... I started sewing the costume around 1 pm. The church party was at 4 pm. I finished the costume around 3pm. Phew. In summary, Kira's costume sewing: 2 hours. Kira wearing the costume: 2 hours. Cleaning up costume mess afterwards: 2 hours +. Not sure that it was worth all the effort.
Problem 2: Douglas wanted me to sew him a costume, too. He was a cute forest ranger for school, but wanted to be Frankenstein for Halloween. I happened to have some black material and purple material. I whipped him up a vest and purple frankie-pants in 30 minutes flat. I did not do any finishing on his, but a Frankenstein is raggedy anyway. I also did not add elastic to the waist- he had to make do with a baseball belt. I did his and TJ's makeup and we headed to the church around 4:10pm. I had 0 minutes for my costume (b00), so I just threw on a jumper and some fabric for a makeshift apron, tied a ribbon in my hair, and called myself Mary (Kira was my little lamb). My little lamb did not love her brothers' being so creepy, but got used to it after a little while.

TJ's costume was easy. He wanted to be a football player, but since he was a football player last year, he decided to change it up a little and be a football player ZOMBIE. Creepy.


The ward party was short and sweet, and we were out of there in time for some serious Trick-or-treating... only it was POURING RAIN (boo). We went anyway with umbrellas in tow. Kira wasn't sure what was going on, but soon caught on to the fact that she was getting candy from all the houses. She started running and saying, " Next house! Next house!". She was also very good about saying Trick-or-treat.... only she would freeze up and not say it to the actual neighbors upon them opening the door. We just went around the block with Kira and back home for some chili for dinner. I was pretty bummed about how Halloween was turning out.


The boys were ready to hit the street again after dinner. I reluctantly bundled up and we headed out. Luckily, the rain had cleared and it was only slightly cool. We had a great time running around. The boys got spoiled. I guess the Trick-or-treater turnout was lower than expected due to the weather, so most neighbors offered double or triple the treats. On the last block towards our house, Douglas was starting to get tired and his bucket was heavy. Being a drama king, he flopped on a lawn and lay there for awhile. TJ still ran to the door to get more goods. The neighbor seemed confused at Douglas' act, but I assured her I was not forcing my kids to get more candy. The boys had a blast overall, and were very pleased with how well their buckets overflowed with sweets. Watching the boys full of giddiness was awesome. No fighting or arguing. I wasn't bossing them around. I really enjoyed being part of their childhood moment. Not too many more of those left with TJ I'm afraid. He already suggested they hook up with friends next year to go. *sniff*


Our actual Halloween day today was pretty low key. We slept in, went to church, watched some ball, saw the Rangers lose again (boo), and had some dinner. I did manage to make some festive punch (orange frappe- yummy). I wondered if we'd get any trick-or-treaters tonight, but I guess not. I guess the non-Mormon locals have adjusted to our demands (ha ha).


Well, I'd better go and vacuum the living room for the 7th time. I see some more white fluffies laying around. Agh.

2 comments:

Ross, Amanda, and Sons said...

I am seriously impressed that you were able to sew those costumes so quickly! Tha lamby costume is adorable!!! You are so creative and talented!

Alisha said...

You are one dedicated mom...glad that your Halloween turned out to be a good one. I know who to call if I need a costume whipped up at the last minute!