Sunday, April 26, 2009

Yeehaw Texas!

We took a big ol' Spring Break Texan style this month. We even drove through the blusterin' winds to get there. The road trip was long, but definitely worth it. Here are some trip highlights:

Fort Worth Zoo- We hit the zoo on a Tuesday afternoon. The blusterin' winds had died down a bit, so we were able to enjoy a warm Spring day amongst the critters. The school groups left around 1pm and so we didn't have to fight any crowds. Awesome. My mom came with us. TJ's favorite area was the reptile building, Douglas liked the bird feeding, and Kira loved the elephants and ducks. I was surprised how much Kira enjoyed the zoo being so young, but she was enthralled with all the animals. I think the Fort Worth zoo is a good one to visit. Very clean and child-centered.



Ranger Game: My dad took the day off to go to a baseball game with us. I love going to baseball games. It is definitely my favorite sport. Kiki stayed home with her Grandma. It was a fun game for the boys to watch. We saw 5 home runs, and a good beating. The hot dogs weren't that great, but the game was fun.



Six Flags: Troy and I are huge coaster fans. We were excited to hit Six Flags and have a ball. We hit the kiddie rides first, and thank goodness the crowds were low. I guess there was some kind of Christian Youth retreat (for teens) so the adult rides were busier, but there weren't too many kids there. We took the boys on "Runaway Mountain" which I thought was the mine ride (a wimpy coaster), but it was actually a roller coaster that had a little intensity to it and was completely in the dark (like Space Mountain). Our boys were mad at us and hardly trusted us the rest of the visit. Douglas was a little more brave and rode a few coasters with me. Then he declared that he wanted to ride the Texas Giant. I didn't think he would once I showed how high it was, but he stuck to his desire and wanted to ride it. I don't love the Texas Giant (I prefer fast and furious over "down, up, down, up, jerkity, jerkity, old wooden creaky" coasters). Troy and Douglas rode it. Troy laughed when he noticed Douglas curled up in the corner of his seat. We had to buy the little picture of the corner of his head barely poking out. Afterwards, however, he claimed to love the Texas Giant. He even rode it again with Aunt Lindsay. Fun perked up for the boys when their cousins joined us. TJ braved up and tried "La Vipora" which is like a bobsled coaster. The boys rode that about 6 times. He also went on the mine train. Some day he may be a coaster guru like Mom and Dad. We were also excited for Marshall, Lindsay and the boys to come so that we could hit a few of the awesome rides. I love Batman. Troy made me ride Mr. Freeze (yikes) and we hit our favorite, The Titan. You've got to see this ride in action: http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/rides/Titan.aspx Click the video link. Taylor and Jace even braved the Titan. Douglas wanted to go, but was too short. Maybe in a few years. Six Flags rocked.



Family and Food: My favorite part of the trip was spending time with my family. I wish we lived closer! The boys really loved hanging out with their cousins, too. We were also able to get some great eats: Ana Mias (yummy Tex-Mex), Hard 8 (bbq), Johnny B's (fresh burgers and fries). So, I gained about 10 pounds on our vacation- time to up the workout a bit.




We even got to see Dane for a few hours. He's busy with work and school, but I was glad we could see him for a little while. I can't believe my baby brother is now a handsome little man.

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Wow! What a trip. I'm glad you all had a good time. You make me want to visit Texas, but that is a long old drive...maybe someday.

Pike's Place said...

I think TJ looks a lot like Dane (especially when Dane was younger). It was good to see your family -- glad you had a fun trip!

Jessica said...

What a cool Spring Break! It's so fun to hang out with family. Glad you survived the winds!

Deb said...

Hey! Hi! (Waving wildly!) Looks like life is in full swing over there! How crazy that we live in the same valley, teach in the same district, and have to keep up with each other on the computer. . .

Can't wait to catch up with the happenings in your life!

Give TJ a squish for me, k?

Miss you guys!