Monday, December 8, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Above is a picture of our Thanksgiving Turkey. For family night, we made him without feathers. Then I put a basket of feathers, a marker and tape on the kitchen table. After discussing the purpose of Thanksgiving, I said that whenever the boys said their prayers and thanked Heavenly Father for something new (that they hadn't already thanked Him for) they could add a feather to the turkey. I challenged them to see how plump we could make this turkey tail. Their prayers were so much better- and less repetitive. I loved seeing what they were thankful for. Here are some of the things they wrote on the feathers:

Hemly Fothur (Heavenly Father)
Jesyse (Jesus)
Trees
Water
Apples
Bees
Air
Grandmas
Bishop
Earth
Home
Food
Family
Baby
School

I think I'll do this tradition again next year. The boys also volunteered more often to say the blessing on the food.

We got to spend Thanksgiving Day with Troy's mom in Preston. His sister Sue and her husband were there also. We cooked all day, and had a fabulous meal. I was reponsible for making the jello salad, pie and cranberry relish. I made a blueberry cheesecake pie- yum. All the food was awesome, and we all got way too full. We enjoyed playing football outside and just hanging out.



Post dinner moans from the boys. ha ha






Kira with Grandma LaMont. She had sweet potatoes for her feast.

4 comments:

Pike's Place said...

What a great idea!!! I'll have to do that next year.

Ian and Kristin said...

That is a very good idea! I might have to steal that from you!

Ross, Amanda, and Sons said...

I agree! I think I will do that next year to! Great idea! That pie sounds delicious, I am sure it was! (Also your baby girl crawling is so precious! She is absolutely adorable!)

Jim Rowley said...

We could probably use that idea too. We'll have to try it.