This week was "National School Lunch Week". Parents are invited to come and eat a school lunch with their kiddos. I was eating lunch with Douglas on Monday when his teacher swung by to say hello and report that he had cut a girl's pants in class with his scissors. Douglas said, "I didn't cut her pants." His teacher said she'd do some research and get back to me. That night we tried to get the story out of him of how he had "accidentally" made a mistake and cut her pants, etc. BUT Douglas just explained that she had cut her own pants and even told him "Watch this, Douglas.". Yes, I wanted to believe my child, but wasn't sure what to do. He doesn't have a terrific record, but doesn't usually lie. Hmmmmmm.
The next day, little Miss Holey Pants entered my classroom before school started and gave me a bag with her cut pants in them. Attached was a note that said the pants were bought at Kohls. I told the girl that Douglas said he didn't cut them. She looked at me and stated, "He cut my pants". AHHHHH! I didn't know what to do. I approached his teacher after school. She was shocked that the parent had sent her daughter to my classroom. The teacher said she would have the kids each tell their story in front of each other, and that hopefully the truth would come out.
Honestly, I was resigned to the fact that Douglas had cut her pants. We would plan a special FHE night about telling the truth, etc. This would prove to be a great learning experience. Troy and I once again attempted to pull out a confession to no avail.
The next morning, Mrs. White shows up in my classroom with Little Miss Holey Pants and she tells me that she cut her own pants, and she was sorry. I told her I was proud of her for telling the truth and that she was very brave. What I really wanted to say is unpublishable, but truly, I was actually just beaming with delight that it was not my child that had chopped the pants! Sorry I doubted you, Douglas!
3 comments:
I'm glad that ended so well. Little Miss Holey Pants (love that name, by the way) finally came through with the truth! Her parents need a lesson on tact, however.
I cant believe that story! Wow... I have to say I'm proud of Douglas too!
Yeah, I have to agree with Lisa... (about the name and about her parents). Even if he had cut her pants, I'd never dream in a million years of doing what they did... Wow, some people have a lot of nerve! :)
Post a Comment