Saturday, September 4, 2010

Kinderfunnies

I get some of my greatest Kindergarten moments/quotes during the first week of school. It is an exhausting time. Kids are so used to getting snacks or drinks at home whenever they want to, and most are used to full adult attention at all times. I do a lot of talking, demonstrating, planning and directing and even my voice gets tired. However, it's been a fun week to meet all these new great little faces and introduce them to the world of school. I wanted to share a few little funnies with you from this past week.

We meet with the child and a parent to do a little assessment a few days before class starts. One test was naming colors. One little boy wasn't sure what to call brown. He thought about it for a few seconds and then said.... "Chocolate Milk!"

Another part of the test was counting objects. I have the children count ten blocks and then I ask them to hand me 3 of them. After doing this several times, I got a little lazy on my wording. One child counted the ten blocks, I held out my hand and said, "Give me 3". The child then slapped my hand 3 times and smiled.

I have a child who has proven to be quite the handful so far. He was getting very impatient with me talking about procedures, and wanted to get on to doing things. On the playground, I took the children in front of the jungle gym to discuss appropriate playground behavior before letting them loose. This boy sighed with impatience and I heard him say, "I already know EVERYTHING!". This is funny when you realize a kindergartner is saying this on his very first day of school.

So we go through a few rules and procedures, but I also let them play a bit. I pulled out some animals and blocks, and one boy was SOOOOO excited and said, "Mrs. MaLont is the best teacher in the world!". Brownie points.

We have extended day kindergarten which means that the morning and afternoon leave and arrive at about the same time. We have a reading aide come to read stories with the kids while I go have lunch. I welcomed the kids to school and told them I'd be right back after I ate my lunch and that my friend Ms. Julie would take care of them. One little girl wasn't very pleased with my leaving, and told me when I got back, "You should just eat a big breakfast so you won't be hungry for lunch."

Gotta love my job.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Those are some great quotes! Porter just started Kindergarten last week so this gives me an idea as to what he might be saying/thinking if he could talk.

Mrs. Rice said...

Those are funny stories! Here's one of mine that happened this week. When I was giving one of the little girls in my kindergarten class the assessment I asked her to count as far as she could go. She counted to 100 and then said, "I can't count to 101." :-)

It sure is fun teaching kindergarten!

Alisha said...

I can see you being such a great kindergarten teacher. Thanks for sharing the funnies!