Ahhhhh.
Here is an outline of our latest adventure:
Saturday:
Debate on which vehicle to take
Decide on van for comfort and space
Drive to St. George
Stop at In-and-Out for lunch
Meet up with Amber and Nick
Visit Zion NP
SWEET- it's free admission day
Go to In-and-Out for dinner (I actually opted for tacos next door- burgers once a day is enough)
Stay in motel
Sunday:
Leave St. George
Visit North Rim of Grand Canyon
OOOOOOh, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Hike around
Picnic lunch
Drive to Flagstaff
Stay in motel
Monday:
Drive to South Rim of Grand Canyon
Walk around
Ooooooh, Ahhhhhh
Drive back to Flagstaff
Say goodbye to Amber and Nick
Tuesday:
TRY to drive to South Rim again
Van overheats, radiator issues
Regrets form about not taking car
Try to do a quick-fix on van
Barely get back to Flagstaff
Hang out at Auto Zone
Buy a little of this and a little of that
Sleep in motel in Flagstaff
Worry
Pray
Wednesday:
Leave Flagstaff
Pray more
Hope
Van makes it to Page, Arizona
Van starts losing power
White smoke from tail pipe
Pull into Glen Canyon Dam
Take tour
Boys earn Jr. Ranger badges
Try out van
Not good
Drive back to Page and straight to mechanic shop
Stay in motel
Thursday:
Find out the bad news
Head gasket blown
Costs more to fix than what van is worth
Debate on how to get home
Kids going crazy stuck in motel
Swim at motel
Try to rent vehicle
Nothing available to rent out of Page
No way to get home
Stay at motel
Friday:
Visit Ford Dealership
Say GOODBYE to van
Say HELLO to a new Ford Escape
Escape Page in an Escape
Breathe
Stop in at Zion NP
Hike around Narrows
Stay at motel in St. George
Get really tired of staying in motels
Saturday:
Sleep in!
Drive home
Kiss ground
Prayers of thanks; we made in home alive and well.

North Rim. Douglas was a little nervous at first to look over the edge or even pose for the picture near the edge. Warm and a bit windy. It was the first time I've ever seen the Grand Canyon. It is really amazing!

Kira loved Amber's dog and kept calling it baby. By the end of the trip, she could finally say puppy.

South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Hot weather, but cool views.

We enjoyed hanging out with Nick and Amber at the Grand Canyon. It was nice that we could all fit in the minivan.

We stopped at a place called "Cliff Dwellers" between the North and South Rim. There were some really cool big rocks with little shacks and things built off of them, and holes carved out. They boys had fun climbing around in the rocks.

TJ at the South Rim. He loved visiting the Grand Canyon and was a great helper with his siblings during the crisis.

The edges of the canyon made Douglas nervous (thank goodness), but he climbed on this rock and wanted to pretend that he was on the edge of the canyon. He's pretending to be freaked out. I love it!

The boys worked on earning a Junior Ranger badge at Glen Canyon Dam. We tried to have a little fun admist our looming disaster. This was a highlight of the trip for the boys. I highly recommend doing the Jr. Ranger thing at every national park you visit.

Baby was a pretty good sport through this adventure. She usually napped well during travel and went crazy running and yelling in the motels. She was really sick of the carseat after a few days.

Our Escape. So, I like the new vehicle and all. I just wasn't planning on a new car payment. It may cause some issues with the house plans. We'll see how it goes. The dealership in Page was great to work with. They even gave us a $2000 credit for our dead van, 0% financing, and a good deal. It's a good time to buy new I guess. I'm going to miss my momma minivan. Troy's really glad they didn't have any used minivans in the lot. ha ha.
7 comments:
I'm still a little bitter that you missed the reunion -- you were missed. However, you certainly had an adventure with the fam'! Looks like it was a blast . . . other than the van difficulties. Glad you're home safely and you're stylin' with a new Escape!
Sounds like a grand adventure. Those are not my favorite kinds of vacations. Glad you're home safely.
Sorry to hear about your van and the troubles it caused. But it sounds like you guys still had a lot of fun! I hope you like your Escape!
Well glad you all made it home! Looks like a great trip if you forget about the mishap with the van!
Wow, no wonder you missed the reunion. The one time I actually drag myself and you aren't even there!!! Sigh. Lisa's right, you were missed.
It looks like you had an amazing time!!! I have always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon!!!
Hope the new Escape works out for you!!!
Cute Escape!
My Mom mentioned seeing ya'll in the Grand Canyon. Wait, or was it Zions? Somewhere South of Utah County anyway...
I'm glad you had some fun in the midst of the frustration!
Thanks for the Jr. Ranger advice. We're contemplating a trip to Flagstaff for a visit to the Grand Canyon. I haven't ever been either.
And I'm sending lots of good house hunting vibes your way! Good luck with that!
I'm either really forgetful or totally out of it because I didn't know you had a blog! I have enjoyed catching up on your family. I am exhausted just reading about your vacation and I'm glad you made it home safe and sound.
Megan
I'm glad buzz and woody brought back fond memories for you!!!
Post a Comment