Two Kids, Two Months, Two Surgeries.
First time I've met my insurance deductible since being on a HDHP for three years.
It all started with our little Kira. She is a snoring beast, and I have been worried about her sleeping habits. She started waking up in the middle of the night, and had also started wetting the bed (which she hadn't done since age 2). Kira was also ALWAYS congested. Doc said to have an ENT take a look. The ENT suggested we get the tonsils and adenoids removed ASAP and that the tonsils were actually touching.
The ENT gave us a little book about the surgery and hospital so Kira would know what to expect. It became her favorite book. We stayed upbeat about the surgery, but it had an interesting effect; Kira was EXCITED to go to the hospital.

Recovery was difficult for about 10 days. It was sad to see her in so much pain. She hated all the medicine, too. She lost some weight, and woke up crying every night. Day 10 was a miracle. All better. Sleeping all night. Just in time for Mommy to do Parent Teacher Conferences. :) She is doing amazing now! The bedwetting and waking at night has stopped! We keep checking on her while sleeping, though. We're not used to her being so quiet when she sleeps.
A few weeks later, Douglas started running a fever. Verdict was a double ear infection. It took 2-3 days to clear up. The day we sent him back to school, he started complaining of a stomach ache. We shuffled him off anyway thinking he was just wanting to stay home. He called around 2pm complaining that his stomach was REALLY hurting and getting worse. Troy picked him up early. When I got home from school around 5, Douglas was still curled up in his bed in pain. I decided we'd better get it checked out. An ER visit consisted of puking in the waiting room, an ultrasound, and a CT scan. A surgeon took out his appendix a few hours later. He said it would've burst within the next 24 hours if we hadn't taken it out. Phew.
Douglas is doing well now. It was hard to keep him down and inactive for a few weeks. His wounds are still healing a bit, but he feels great. He is healed enough to start playing soccer this week!
ER visit. Although fearing the IV, he was grateful for the pain relief.
Douglas getting prepped for the CT scan. It was not very comfortable, but he toughed through it and did well holding his breath and staying still.
Douglas home the next day with his battle wounds.
Although he used laproscopy (newer technology), I thought it was old school to use staples vs. stitches. He will have a nice little smiley scar under the belly button.
Even though we are done with new doctor bills until September 1st, I hope we are done with hospital visits. We are just thankful that our children are safe and well again. :)
2 comments:
Craziness! Glad everyone recovered well!
Meeting your insurance deductible is never fun. Hopefully it doesn't happen for you guys again! I'm glad that you got everything done and over with so quickly. I'm trying to get Porter's adenoids & tonsils out but I'm worried about the recovery part. Hopefully everyone will stay healthy for a while!
Post a Comment